Mechanical Engineering Technician
Department: Research & Development
Reports to: Product Development Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Mechanical Engineering Technician will be working on design and development of energy based surgical devices. This is an important role in the R&D department, providing design expertise to the team during the development of new products. The position requires a team-oriented individual with strong design skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serve as a mechanical engineering technician for development of innovative surgical devices.
- Design high-precision machined, extruded and plastic injection molded components.
- Design complex assemblies capable of achieving overall device requirements.
- Create engineering and production level drawings for components and assemblies
- Evaluate and apply design tradeoffs and constraints for design optimization
- Ensure product design robustness through appropriate testing.
- Develop tooling and assembly methods for new products
- Develop and fabricate design prototypes for evaluation in user labs
- Experimentation and testing to prove feasibility of new ideas and concepts
- Apply DFSS, DFA, DFM, Design for Lean and other fundamental engineering principles.
- Support design verification and process validations.
- Ensure that development work follows established design control processes
- Develop product knowledge to provide technical expertise to other functional areas.
- Bill of Material creation
- Document Change Orders (Engineering Change)
- Interface with purchasing & suppliers
- 3D printing knowledge
- Fixture design
- Assist with design transfer from R&D to Manufacturing
- Experience with Early Supplier Involvement (ESI)
- Associate of Science degree or other relevant technical degree/certification required.
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience is required.
- Previous medical device (Class II or Class III) product development experience required
- Proficient in CAD, tolerance stack-ups and drawing reviews. Knowledge of GD&T
- Strong track record in product design and development
- Good understanding of plastic component design, injection molding and extrusion
- Experience with a variety of manufacturing processes, for example machining, molding, joining, forming, additive manufacturing
- Material selection based on analysis of mechanical, electrical and thermal properties
- Understanding of DFSS, DFM and Design for Lean activities in early phases of product design
- Design verification protocol and report writing
- Experience from working with suppliers.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and methodologies
- High attention to detail
- Ability to effectively handle conflict through proactive action and direct and timely communication
- Excellent time management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
QUALITY ASSURANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
The Design Quality & Risk Management Engineer must comply with the following quality system requirements including, but not limited to:
- Use only formally approved procedures, records, documents and specifications known as “Control Documents” (e.g., device history records, data collection forms, drawings, procedures, and specifications).
- Use only properly calibrated and maintained equipment.
- Immediately bring to attention of the Management Representative or the Quality Assurance department any possible deviations from specified Standard Operating Procedures or Work Instructions he or she may notice.
- Ensure no components, parts, manufacturing materials or products will be released unless they meet all inspection and test criteria.
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions relating to the functions preformed.
- Ensure all purchasing documents are completed to Work Instructions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EMPLOYMENT WITH APYX MEDICAL
All employment with Apyx Medical is considered employment-at-will. Employment-at-will means that either party can sever the employment at any time for any reason. Additionally, the responsibilities and functions outlined in the description may be changed or modified at any time by Apyx Medical in response to its changing needs and at its sole and absolute discretion.
Join the team where we offer a rewarding work experience, compensation and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with professional experience. For immediate consideration, please forward your resume, along with salary requirements, to: Human Resources, Apyx Medical Corporation, 5115 Ulmerton Road, Clearwater, FL 33760-4004 or e-mail email@example.com.
APPLYING FOR EMPLOYMENT
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Apyx™ Medical team, you may download our Employment Application PDF, fill it out, and send it along with your resume using any of the following methods:
EMAIL OUR HUMAN
MAIL A HARD COPY
c/o Apyx Medical Corporation
5115 Ulmerton Road
Clearwater, FL 33760-4004