BOVIE MEDICAL ANNOUCES COMPLETION OF NEW J-PLASMA® WHITE PAPERS
– New white papers cover range of procedures, including breast capsule treatment and ablation of intra-abdominal adhesions
– 10 white papers published on J-Plasma® to date
– Company also announces plans to launch the Precise 360TM handpiece for J-Plasma® in Q2 of this year
CLEARWATER, FL – January 11, 2016 – Bovie Medical, a maker of medical devices and supplies, and the developer of J-Plasma®, a patented new surgical product, today announced the completion and availability of several new white papers on J-Plasma®.
The white papers highlight the application of J-Plasma® for procedures including breast capsule scoring and the treatment of intra-abdominal adhesions within the plastic surgery and gynecology specialties. Additionally, a detailed article was written documenting the use of J-Plasma® to treat rhinophyma, a complication associated with rosacea that can seriously impede a patient’s ability to breathe.
These white papers increase the total number of white papers on J-Plasma® to 10, in line with the Company’s stated goal. A selection of the white papers is available on the Bovie Medical website: www.boviemedical.com
“J-Plasma® is a unique and powerful tool for a range of minimally-invasive surgeries,” said Robert L. Gershon, Chief Executive Officer. These white papers are further evidence of its benefits for surgeons performing a wide variety of procedures, and they support our stated objective of developing J-Plasma® into the standard of care for specific surgeries across a growing number of practice areas. We are pleased to have reached our objective of 10 white papers. We expect additional white papers and clinical studies to be issued throughout 2016 as we continue the commercialization of J-Plasma® and increase the number of new surgeons using the product.”
Highlights from the white papers include:
- An alternate approach to breast capsule scoring compared to traditional cautery techniques in a paper by Dr. Vip Dev of the California Institute of Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery. This paper noted J-Plasma® could reduce muscle trauma, and initial results suggest beneficial effects on capsular contracture rates, pain, and hematoma formation.
- J-Plasma®’s role in treating and preventing intra-abdominal adhesions, in a paper by Dr. Craig E. McCoy of the Women’s Wellness Center in Columbia, Missouri. Abdominal adhesions are an expensive surgical byproduct lacking effective prevention. J-Plasma® was found to be safe, precise and economical in adhesion treatment and the reduced thermal tissue damage may play a role in adhesion prevention.
- The surgical treatment of endometriosis in a paper by Dr. Mario Nutis of the Center for Special Minimally Invasive & Laser Gynecologic Surgery. Dr. Nutis noted that the greater precision offered by J-Plasma® lessened tissue damage, reduced his patients preoperative symptoms, and provided treatment at a reasonable cost.
- A case study on rhinophyma. This paper described the treatment of rhinophyma with J-Plasma®. The surgical precision and reduced tissue damage offered by J-Plasma was instrumental in a successful outcome that ultimately enabled the patient to breath clearly and enabled the surgeon to blend tissue seamlessly for improved cosmetic result.
Launch of Precise 360 Handpiece
Bovie also announced today that the launch of the latest J-Plasma® product extension, the Precise 360 handpiece will occur in Q2 of this year. The Precise 360 has a rotating tip that will enable surgeons to navigate structures that may be difficult to access using a typical straight laparoscopic device. This launch follows the successful commercialization of six new handpiece configurations in September of 2015.
“This new handpiece builds on J-Plasma®’s great advantage, namely precision,” Mr. Gershon said. “This launch highlights Bovie’s ability to efficiently develop new, complementary product extensions that improve the surgeon’s experience using J-Plasma® for an expanding universe of minimally invasive procedures.”
About Bovie Medical Corporation
Bovie Medical Corporation is a leading maker of medical devices and supplies as well as the developer of J-Plasma®, a patented new plasma-based surgical product for cutting and coagulation. J-Plasma® utilizes a helium ionization process to produce a stable, focused beam of ionized gas that provides surgeons with greater precision, minimal invasiveness and an absence of conductive currents through the patient during surgery. Bovie Medical Corporation is also a leader in the manufacture of a range of electrosurgical products and technologies, marketed through both private labels and the Company’s own well-respected brands (Bovie®, Aaron®, IDS™ and ICON™) to distributors worldwide. The Company also leverages its expertise through original equipment manufacturing (OEM) agreements with other medical device manufacturers. For further information about the Company’s current and new products, please refer to the Investor Relations section of Bovie Medical Corporation’s website www.boviemed.com.
MBS Value Partners