Transformational Helium Plasma Technology
J-Plasma® is an advanced energy modality which combines the unique properties of helium plasma with a proprietary RF waveform. Helium plasma focuses RF energy for greater control of tissue effect, enabling a high level of precision and virtually eliminating unintended tissue trauma. These properties may allow surgeons to use the energy on and around sensitive structures.
In the plastic surgery and cosmetic markets the J-Plasma technology is incorporated into our Renuvion® system. To learn more click here.
J-Plasma: A Matter of Energy
Just as a liquid can be excited into a gas state, plasma is created by adding energy to a gas. J-Plasma uses helium gas, passed across an energized electrode – which can also be extended for an enhanced cutting effect – to create a focused stream of low-current cold plasma. With its high level of precision and minimal thermal spread, J-Plasma can enable and improve surgical and nonsurgical treatment across a broad range of specialties and procedures.
Cold atmospheric plasma (CAP)
Cold atmospheric plasma (CAP) has been well-studied in the scientific community over the last few years for its unique ability to preferentially destroy different types of cancer and bacterial cells1-4. The CAP produced by J-Plasma results in charged particles, reactive species and high electric fields that can act individually and synergistically on biological cells.
Research in this new area of science has shown the benefit of CAP for many therapeutic and cosmetic applications, and ongoing work continues to reveal new medical uses for cold plasma. J-Plasma is the only energy device incorporating the advanced benefits of CAP, and is configured for use in open, laparoscopic and robotic procedures.
1. Gay-Mimbrera J, et al. Clinical and biological principles of cold atmospheric plasma application in skin cancer. Adv Ther. 2016;33:894-909.
2. Barekzi N, et al. Effects of low temperature plasma on prostate cancer cell using the Bovie Medical J-Plasma® device. Plasma Process Polym. 2016;13:1189-94.
3. Fridman G, et al. Applied plasma medicine. Plasma Process Polym. 2008;5:503-3.
4. Keidar M, et al. Cold plasma selectivity and the possibility of a paradigm shift in cancer therapy. Br J Cancer 2011;105:1295-1301.
Introducing Cool-Coag Technology
The patent-pending Cool-Coag technology is fundamentally different from the precision of the cold atmospheric plasma (CAP) on which the J-Plasma energy is based. Cool-Coag technology combines the power of a monopolar coagulation waveform with added versatility from the flow of helium gas. This allows for a single device to be used as a standard monopolar pencil for precise contact hemostasis and as a non-contact ‘spray’ called plasma beam coagulation that can be used for wider areas of coagulation/ablation.
With Cool-Coag technology, the new J-Plasma handpieces can deliver three distinctly different energy modalities – further increasing the utility and versatility of the J-Plasma system.
The Power of Three. The Simplicity of One.
Only from Apyx™ Medical.
The lightest of the stable, noble gases, helium can be ionized at very low energy. The result is a single modality that can cut, coagulate and ablate with extraordinary flexibility. From debulking of disease on and around critical structures to cutting and lysis of dense tissue, helium plasma is unique in its ability to adapt to the dynamic requirements of the operating suite. And J-Plasma is the only device that can do this.
The J-Plasma® generator and handpieces are configured for quick and easy setup:
• Plug and play – setup in under 10 seconds
• Extendable/retractable blade for enhanced versatility
• Use of J-Plasma does not require any special certifications
• Includes 4-year warranty with no service contracts needed
The new J-Plasma® handpieces with Cool-Coag® technology deliver the precision of helium plasma energy, the power of traditional monopolar coagulation and the efficiency of plasma beam coagulation. This enables thin-layer ablation, dissection and fast coagulation with a single instrument — minimizing instrument exchange and allowing maintained focus on your patient and your procedure.
J-Plasma Precise® Open Handpiece
• J-Plasma energy
• Retractable and rotating blade enhances versatility
• Available with 4.4cm and 15cm lengths
Unique Retractable Blade
J-Plasma Precise® Handpiece
• J-Plasma energy
• Ergonomic pistol-grip design
• Retractable blade enhances versatility
• Available in 15cm and 33cm lengths
J-Plasma’s retractable blade enables greater versatility and control of the energy, as well as enhanced visibility at the application site.
Pistol-grip and pencil handpieces with single-button cutting, dissection, ablation and coagulation.
J-Plasma® System Generator
• 3-in-1 energy source for plasma delivery and next-generation monopolar and bipolar
• Optimizes OR space
• Increases convenience and flexibility
Surgical Applications Overview
J-Plasma® has been shown to be safe and effective in numerous surgical procedures where precise delivery of energy coupled with minimal thermal spread to adjacent tissue is important for controlled cutting, coagulation, and ablation of tissue.
J-Plasma® has wide applicability across surgical specialties*
• GENERAL SURGERY
- Solid organ resection
- Fulgeration of target tissue
- Tissue plane dissection
• GYN/SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
- Tumor debulking
- Ovarian Cyst
• CARDIAC AND THORACIC SURGERY • UROLOGY • COLORECTAL SURGERY
*J-Plasma is cleared for the cutting, coagulation and ablation of soft tissue in open and laparoscopic cases.
- Laparoscopic Treatment of Benign and Malignant Pelvic Disorders Utilizing Helium Plasma: A Retrospective Analysis (243 KB)
- Novel Surgical Approach Targeting Chronic Pelvic Pain with J-Plasma (622.5 KB)
- J-Plasma Role In Treating And Preventing Intraabdominal Adhesions (502.0 KB)
- J-Plasma Surgical Treatment Of Endometriosis (133.8 KB)
- Economics Of Treating Female Chronic Pelvic Pain (421.8 KB)
- Endometriosis-Pelvic Pain J-Plasma Final (146.0 KB)